1. Install All-in-One WP Migration WordPress Plugin into running WordPress
This plugin is freely available in the WordPress Plugins directory. Install directly through your WordPress site or download and upload it through your WordPress Dashboard.
2. Deactivate or uninstall some plugins which may cause the failure of migration
- Plugins or themes aren't updated for years because these may have compatibility problems with PHP 7 or newer.
- Plugins or themes aren't tested under PHP 7 or doesn't have compatibility with PHP7. Currently, running PHP version is 7.3.6. (Incompatible plugins may crash import processes and WordPress on Shifter. )
- Plugins listed on incompatible list. (listed plugins should be deactivated; it may crash WordPress on Shifter.)
- WP Config File Editor (should be deactivated; it may crash WordPress on Shifter,)
- SiteGuard WP Plugin (should be deactivated; it may cause of login failure)
- Plugins are the backend for the WordPress object cache (deactivate recommend; e.g. Redis Object Cache, Simple Cache, APC Object Cache Backend or called Object Cache Plugins.)
3. Export / Create a file backup of your current WordPress site
Create a complete backup of your existing site you wish to migrate. This plugin also offers a few options like Dropbox, Amazon S3 and more as a premium option.
Migrating from Shifter Version 1 to 2? See our tips before for that.
We recommend checking on the following items to exclude "revisions of each posts", "must-use plugins" and "cache files" when you export or create backup file.
- [Do not export post revisions]
- [Do not export must-use plugins (files)]
- [Do not export cache (files)]
4. Create a new WordPress site on Shifter
Every Shifter site starts as a fresh WordPress installation. We'll be creating a new site and overwriting the default content with our existing backup.
Click [Create New Site] on Shifter dashboard
Name it then hit [Create Site]
Click [Start WordPress]
Finish famous 5 minutes install and login to WordPress.
5. Log in and install All-in-One WP Migration
Log in to your new WordPress site, navigate to the WordPress Plugins directory and install or upload the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin.
After activating the plugin, navigate to the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin Import page.
6. Importing your Backup
From the All-in-One WP Migration Import page you can select or drag your backup to begin the process.
Once the migration is complete, it will ask to overwrite data and files. Since this is a new WordPress install this should be okay to do.
7. Restart WordPress
Applying imported permalink structure, need to stop and start WordPress.
Click [Stop WordPress]
... Then click [Start WordPress]
8. Generate an artifact
Generate an Artifact after confirming imported data.
9. All done!
Now you've got static version of your site.
Please note, when importing a backup it will replace all of the existing content including the usernames and passwords on that new site. If you are having trouble accessing your account try using the old username and password from the migrated site.
If that doesn't work, you can also try resetting the password.
WordPress Password Reset Email Spam
If you need to request a new password after importing, check your spam folder. Password reset emails usually end up there.
If you've check that and still nothing, let us know and we'll figure it out.
Migrating a Large Site
Migrating a large site is possible but with this plugin you may need to go premium since it only supports site up to 512MB. If your site is over that size, contact us and we should be able to help you out.
Are you Migrating from Shifter Version 1 to Shifter Version 2?
If you are Migrating from Shifter Version 1 there are a few MU-Plugins that you'll need to exclude from your backup and migration process.
With the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin you can exclude MU-Plugins in the advanced tab located with in the Export page.
Are you stuck?
If you're experiencing issues and not sure what to do, please reach out. We can help you troubleshoot or make recommendations. We're here to help!